Handlebars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Handlebars

Post  Hew on Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:42 pm

When I first bought the XR I fitted Renolds Dakar High wide bars now that I am getting used to dirt riding I think that I will be more comfortable with lower narrower bars, back to standard in fact.
How strong are the standard ones.
I have ridden with a few Yamaha's that the standard bars have snapped when the bike and rider have taken a tumble.

Are Honda bars made of better stuff or is it advisable to fit Renolds or fatbars?
Hew
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Re: Handlebars

Post  Focker on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 pm

Hew wrote:...is it advisable to fit Renolds or fatbars?
Yes...Besides the added strength they look better.

But the guy at the Honda shop did tell me...When you crash with stronger bars you might break something else as there is less give.
lobby

Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

That's correct.

Post  Bump on Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:16 pm

That impact energy has to go somewhere. Getting a 300lb bike to fly into the air and then pivot on the end of a handlebar is not without it's problems. BRP smile

That said, I still have my stock bars and if you want them I'll ship them to you. I have some other stock parts if you need them: springs, triple clamp, and so forth. lemme know... The handlebars are so long some other stuff will fit in there as well.

I use the Pro Taper Evo Bars Henry/Reed bend. It what Jim Rios recommended when I was changing the ergos.
Bump
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Hew on Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will try the standard bars, which I have still got, out for size again. If they are OK I will change to a similar height Renthal.
It's Renthal that I'm using at the moment not Renolds as posted.
I agree that the force has got to go somewhere but if there bars bend a little the bike is still ridable whereas if they snap it makes getting the bike back a real nightmare.
Hew
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum