Overheating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Overheating

Post  Al on Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi Guys I went for my first proper ride on my new XR this weekend, and in the slow technical stuff that I enjoy the bike showed 100DegC very quickly. I did not hear or see it boill, but the Vapor Trail Tech computer showed the temp. Should I take the thermostat out? I am at sea level, and I would really apreciate some help.

Thanks

Al
Al
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

easy fix

Post  Bump on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Listen, there is only one thing you have to do:
Get some Evans coolant. That's it. You might also move to a better thermostat. But mainly just change to Evans and follow exactly the instructions. There can't be any water left in your system when you install it. Evans doesn't boil so there's no need for any high pressure caps or any of that stuff. That is the wrong way to go. That system was not designed to be pressurized much so increasing the pressure is asking for trouble.
Post to the Yahoo Group to confirm but it's what all the racers here in the deserts of California do. Or simply search the yahoo Group for "evans".
http://www.evanscooling.com/main27.htm
Let me know if you need help getting it.
bump

Al wrote:Hi Guys I went for my first proper ride on my new XR this weekend, and in the slow technical stuff that I enjoy the bike showed 100DegC very quickly. I did not hear or see it boill, but the Vapor Trail Tech computer showed the temp. Should I take the thermostat out? I am at sea level, and I would really apreciate some help.

Thanks

Al
Bump
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Overheating

Post  Hew on Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:44 pm

I found that my thermostat was jammed nearly open which is a common failure caused by the pin bending. This was replaced with the Suzuki swift thermostat and it has since been OK even in deep bogs. Worth a look to start with but UK temp are usually low so yours may be something different.
Hew
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

T-STAT

Post  paddy2257 on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:03 pm

My stat was also jammed all the way open, I replaced mine with one from xrsonly, works like a champ. I also have the stock radiator cap. Everything works great on tight technical stuff up to timberline.
paddy2257
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Overheating

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top