Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  Bump on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:30 am

I found this on another forum while looking for something entirely unrelated. I didn't edit and am not sure what a couple remarks mean exactly.

The foot peg problem fix is to weld a bracket on the peg so the bracket
goes over the frame and the front bolt goes through the other side of
the bracket.
The problem with the carby is the float height is to high, drop it 2mm from stock and you won't have any issues.
Run a 172 main jet and a 68s pilot jet, about one and 5/8 out on the
mixture screw, run the clip on the needle in the middle. no need for a
pumper then.
Take out the stock thermostat, there junk, replace it with a suzuki swift thermostat i think it is from memory.
The springs in the suspension are for a 75kg rider, if your going to
keep it for awhile get the suspension done, it is worth it big time.
There a slow turner the BRP, my rear shock was extended in length, big difference.
With the air filter just put grease around the egdes of the filter and you won't have any issues.
If the oil is changed regularly and air filter kept clean you can
expect to get around 50k kms before looking at motor work, don't tell
the KTM guys that.
MSC make a rally clamp / damper for the BRP if you are tall it might be worth looking at it.
gearing if it is stock you might want to look at 15/47, best alround gearing i think.
The frame and swing arm is alloy on these things, and honda don't put
much grease if any on the swingarm pivot and steering head, strip the
bike would be a good idea so you don't have issues later.( watch the
rear adjusting bolts anti seize them ).
avatar
Bump
XRR Monger

Joined : 2009-01-28

Posts : 1144
Location : Canyon Lake, So Cal
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  AtomicXRer on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:07 am

A very good peg fix for the well-known problem with the stock BRP pegs is made by Animal House Designs with instructions at this site:
http://www.animalhousedesigns.net/products.htm

I have this peg fix (specific for the XR650R) with aftermarket IMS wide pegs. It's a great fix, and has held up well, and is a great improvement over the stock pegs. Let me know, and I can post up pics to show you what it looks like on my bike.
avatar
AtomicXRer
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2008-12-01

Posts : 193
Location : Los Alamos, Northern NM
XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  Clipity on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:02 am

AtomicXRer wrote:A very good peg fix for the well-known problem with the stock BRP pegs is made by Animal House Designs with instructions at this site:
http://www.animalhousedesigns.net/products.htm

I have this peg fix (specific for the XR650R) with aftermarket IMS wide pegs. It's a great fix, and has held up well, and is a great improvement over the stock pegs. Let me know, and I can post up pics to show you what it looks like on my bike.

I would like to see the pics.
avatar
Clipity
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2009-01-20

Posts : 154
Location : Citrus Heights CA.
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  AtomicXRer on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:03 pm

Ok, I'll take a couple pics and post them up tonight.

Clipity wrote:
AtomicXRer wrote:A very good peg fix for the well-known problem with the stock BRP pegs is made by Animal House Designs with instructions at this site:
http://www.animalhousedesigns.net/products.htm

I have this peg fix (specific for the XR650R) with aftermarket IMS wide pegs. It's a great fix, and has held up well, and is a great improvement over the stock pegs. Let me know, and I can post up pics to show you what it looks like on my bike.

I would like to see the pics.
avatar
AtomicXRer
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2008-12-01

Posts : 193
Location : Los Alamos, Northern NM
XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  Clipity on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:22 pm

BRP smile
avatar
Clipity
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2009-01-20

Posts : 154
Location : Citrus Heights CA.
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  AtomicXRer on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:10 am

It was hard to take pics as my rear brake brake pedal is in the way, but here are a few pics of the right peg.

The first pic shows mainly my IMS peg, but in the background you can see the welded piece from AHD (Animal House Designs) that clamps over the the top of the lower frame:


The second pic is a view from the bottom, so you can't really see how the AHD peg fix goes over the lower frame:


The third pic better shows the welded black clamp that goes over the frame and the bolt eventually tie into it on the inside part of the frame. It was getting late here...tomorrow I will try to get better pics, maybe the left peg will allow me to do this.:



AtomicXRer wrote:Ok, I'll take a couple pics and post them up tonight.

Clipity wrote:
AtomicXRer wrote:A very good peg fix for the well-known problem with the stock BRP pegs is made by Animal House Designs with instructions at this site:
http://www.animalhousedesigns.net/products.htm

I have this peg fix (specific for the XR650R) with aftermarket IMS wide pegs. It's a great fix, and has held up well, and is a great improvement over the stock pegs. Let me know, and I can post up pics to show you what it looks like on my bike.

I would like to see the pics.
avatar
AtomicXRer
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2008-12-01

Posts : 193
Location : Los Alamos, Northern NM
XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  Clipity on Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 am

Thanks mang.
avatar
Clipity
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2009-01-20

Posts : 154
Location : Citrus Heights CA.
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Good Noob Intro to XRR cheap and Minimum Fixes

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum