Inexspensive Security - Not For Thieves To Read!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Inexspensive Security - Not For Thieves To Read!

Post  Focker on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:59 pm

Yes I know all about the 3 guys and a pickup trick!

I have 2 hidden switches on my XRR. The best trick is having multiple wires coming off the switch. I used four different colored wires, 2 of which are decoys. If they know what 2 wires are the hot ones you're in trouble. I wrapped the wires in electrical tape, but half way through the harness the colors change. If someone had the time in a parking lot to trace the wires they would be stumped. Another thing I did was to hide the visible parts of my harness inside small fuel line.
I did one switch wired to two separate locations so if the jerks discover one, they probably won't think of the other. Do your best to make the wires look factory. If they look out of place the thieves will know.

If I put a key switch on my bike I wouldn't hook it up...They can try hot wiring it all day long. It would strictly be for visual effect.

I recommend a disc lock (put it through the rear disc brake holes near the caliper) for the best piece of mind. I went to Lowes and bought a heavy duty lock with no room for bolt cutters to grab on to anything. I powder coated it red so the would be thiefs will see it. Now they know they have to carry it!

Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Inexspensive Security - Not For Thieves To Read!

Post  Dave P on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:03 am

Good stuff, Focker.

I especially like the fake key switch thought. Very Happy
Dave P
XRR Freak

XR650R Year : 2002, 2001

http://desertwildlifeservices.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top