Engine mods

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Engine mods

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue May 21, 2013 10:23 pm

What can you experienced guys tell me about engine mods? I am saving up to do some work on the motor - My BRP is a SM for road use.

I am thinking stage 1 or stage 2 cam and maybe a 11:1 piston - What do you guys think?
How about big bore kits? Is that just a case of a rebore and nikasil plating? Are they worth it?

Anything else I should change? Can I bolt this on or should I strip/rebuild the bottom end first? Is the stock rod sufficient or do I need an aftermarket rod?
How about the cam chain? Do I need to go the HRC route?
Clutch?
How about the carb? Will stock be sufficient? Decent carbs seem to be very expensive!!
Other performance bits?

I am not sure what the reliability issues might be with mods and would rather spend a bit more and do it right. Looking for max HP with limited $$ but reliability is key (I would rather spend a bit more for this).

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year: 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: Engine mods

Post  cognugget on Wed May 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Keep it oem and rebuild as it wears out to oem spec.

Do you have it uncorked?

Do you have a pumper carb?

cognugget
L Rider

XR650R Year: 2001

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 pm

cognugget wrote:Keep it oem and rebuild as it wears out to oem spec.

Do you have it uncorked?

Do you have a pumper carb?

Stock carb

Looking at that XR780R on the forum I was drooling on my keyboard - I would love another 10 20 30 40 50 horses Very Happy

I think I will go change my front sprocket from a 16 to a 15

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Wed May 22, 2013 5:18 pm

Pumper carb and high compression piston can make big difference , but of course the more power you squeeze out of the engine the more stress / damage and wear you get but that is the price you pay for more fun ( plus some cash of course ) . The wise choice is what cognugget have said , dont go wild with the bike , spend your money on good service and oem parts = enjoy the bike for many years to come . I have seen many XR's dead because of crazy mods , not what i want for my piggy to happen .

Mad Frosty
XRR Freak

XR650R Year: 2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Wed May 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Pumper carb and high compression piston can make big difference , but of course the more power you squeeze out of the engine the more stress / damage and wear you get but that is the price you pay for more fun ( plus some cash of course ) . The wise choice is what cognugget have said , dont go wild with the bike , spend your money on good service and oem parts = enjoy the bike for many years to come . I have seen many XR's dead because of crazy mods , not what i want for my piggy to happen .

I will drop a tooth on my front sprocket and hopefully not sacrifice too much top end - that should add some fun - at the moment she is geared for 205 but she can only pull 185

My piggy is fun but has 116 HP less than my Fireblade that she is replacing - I don't dare start my Blade because then I will want to ride her and then she might have to stay
She is a lot more fun than the KTM990 and the Aprillia 1200 Dorsaduro I tested. The KTM was so boring to ride, the Aprillia was fun but not in relation to the price and resale on those is BAD

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

xr perk me up

Post  temporary kiwi on Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 am

if you havent got a stage 1 cam[hrc or likewise] get this 1st, that is as long as you have derestricted intake , system, as long as your mtr,s in good nick, a flatslide carb conversion next, if funds allow a decent exhaust system, as std headers restrict the ex ports by 6mm, with this combo youll have 50hp apprx, the mtr will rev better and run more economically, i ran this set up for 2yrs , now ive fully modded mtr but will probably end up returning it to previous spec, as they are near bullet proof in that state of tune

temporary kiwi
XRR Jockey

XR650R Year: 02

Back to top Go down

hi

Post  chrisstonepig on Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:06 pm

to be honest best upgrades on the cheap and will change your bike

un-cork the bike full exhaust system k&N jet it to suit

upgrade front brakes and hell brake lines

set bike for road riding - sag front & rear suspension

and your good to go

will have enough power and fun factor and will never go bang

beat head beat head beat head Very Happy

chrisstonepig
L Rider

XR650R Year: 2002

Back to top Go down

Cam

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:59 pm

Is it worth getting my OEM cam reprofiled to stage 1 specs? This will cost me about 20 pounds locally and I will get to keep the decompressor

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:47 pm

No.
What is worth is to ask XRsOnly - by email, which for them should be 'dreaded' email - is to ask if they still can get you an genuine HRC-cam - not the regrind mind, you'll loose (with any regrind!) the auto-decomp instantaneously due to the base-circles being reduced ('duh' for those who know this). This being a 650 keep in mind it can ruin your ankle/leg when kickstartling, and yes, I'm fully aware it fires on TDC.
They got me mine, they are helpful, you only have to be patient - which, no offense pls, US blokes don't seem to be. However, if you think anybody can do better than HRC* then by all means ask Japie/Marcus to grind yours.

* There's quite a few actually who can, but then forget about any low-down power which you'll need.

BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year: 2007

Back to top Go down

Gaskets

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:23 pm

Thanks for all the help so far guys

I am putting together my order list. As far as gaskets go I have this
GASKET SHEET KIT A 06113-MBN-670
WASHER O-RING KIT A 06114-MBN-670
GASKET KIT B 06115-MBN-670
WASHER O-RING KIT B 06116-MBN-670

Are any of the following included in the above? If not then will all of these form a complete set?
Crank seals
Gear lever seal
Sprocket seal
Clutch lever seal
Kickstart seal
Water pump seal
Oil pump seal
Valve stem seals

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:35 am

No idea as noone knows what the kits are, or ordered where?

BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:09 pm

BuRP wrote:No idea as noone knows what the kits are, or ordered where?
They are the four OEM gasket/seal sets from Honda

My Honda dealer says they include all the seals but not the valve guide seals. My mechanic seems to think they contain no seals but come with the valve stem seals.

There are no pictures on the Honda-direct catalog but I will try Google some more.

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:19 pm

Chris_w_65 wrote:

My Honda dealer says they include all the seals but not the valve guide seals. My mechanic seems to think they contain no seals but come with the valve stem seals.

There are no pictures on the Honda-direct catalog but I will try Google some more.

OK, from these links it looks like all seals including valve stem seals are extra over and above the four gasket and o-ring sets

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection.php?block_01=13MBNY41&block_02=EOP0100&block_03=7746

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_selection.php?block_01=13MBNY41&block_02=EOP0100&block_03=7746

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Chris_w_65 wrote:
Chris_w_65 wrote:

OK, from these links it looks like all seals including valve stem seals are extra over and above the four gasket and o-ring sets

I don't see the valve stem seals under the head section or the gasket section of the Honda parts catalog - I managed to find the part number - a bit rough at $10.00 each.

12209-413-003

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:07 pm

Go here http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yeltrikmotorsports/partsfinder.htm
which is part of here http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php
and choose what you need - exactly that, nothing too much or short.
The are other sites for this as well, here for instance http://www.dealercostparts.com/

Bottom line is, very clear pictured so no doubts as to what you will get.
My advice is to buy all from 1 place (shipping cost!) and to buy a bit more than you'll need, for instance some extra exhaust gaskets.
O-rings you can buy anywhere as long as they're round, maybe cheaper. Media in Pta sells them, surely in Jhb there's similar places.

BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:24 pm

BuRP wrote:Go here http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/yeltrikmotorsports/partsfinder.htm
which is part of here http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/index.php
and choose what you need - exactly that, nothing too much or short.
The are other sites for this as well, here for instance http://www.dealercostparts.com/

Bottom line is, very clear pictured so no doubts as to what you will get.
My advice is to buy all from 1 place (shipping cost!) and to buy a bit more than you'll need, for instance some extra exhaust gaskets.
O-rings you can buy anywhere as long as they're round, maybe cheaper. Media in Pta sells them, surely in Jhb there's similar places.

Hi BuRP
There are either no pictures or just generic sketches under the gasket section - As far as I can see from the separate parts below there are NO oil seals or valve stem seals in the four gasket sets. I found the valve stem seals, I was looking under head section and not valves and cam section.

I will check out dealercostparts, they seem cheaper than honda-direct who have ignored my four emails so far. I am probably getting everything from XRsOnly (if they bother replying) and one OEM supplier - everything getting sent to my friend in the USA who owes me a birthday present ;-)

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Mad Frosty on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Just word of warning about XR's only , some of the stuff they sell is overpriced ( like the carb insulator cost 3X more than from lings honda ) , i like XR's only but i only buy the "special stuff" from them as noone else have it
BRP smile

Mad Frosty
XRR Freak

XR650R Year: 2000

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Just word of warning about XR's only , some of the stuff they sell is overpriced ( like the carb insulator cost 3X more than from lings honda ) , i like XR's only but i only buy the "special stuff" from them as noone else have it
BRP smile

I see that, OEM oil filters are twice the price

Still not made my mind up on piston, cam and conrod kit. Busy finalizing my OEM order now

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:26 pm

BuRP wrote:No.
What is worth is to ask XRsOnly - by email, which for them should be 'dreaded' email - is to ask if they still can get you an genuine HRC-cam - not the regrind mind, you'll loose (with any regrind!) the auto-decomp instantaneously due to the base-circles being reduced ('duh' for those who know this). This being a 650 keep in mind it can ruin your ankle/leg when kickstartling, and yes, I'm fully aware it fires on TDC.
They got me mine, they are helpful, you only have to be patient - which, no offense pls, US blokes don't seem to be. However, if you think anybody can do better than HRC* then by all means ask Japie/Marcus to grind yours.

* There's quite a few actually who can, but then forget about any low-down power which you'll need.

XRSONLY and hondaparts-direct don't like answering emails Sad

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris_w_65 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Chris_w_65 wrote:
BuRP wrote:No.

XRSONLY and hondaparts-direct don't like answering emails Sad

Maybe the $1000.00 I have to spend is too little for them

Chris_w_65
XRR Jockey

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum