XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

View previous topic View next topic Go down

XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Chris_w_65 on Thu May 16, 2013 8:53 pm

I have a 150/60/17 on and she is being chewed by the chain. When I look at the positioning of the chain over the slider on the swingarm it looks like the chain has already been shifted over slightly (perhaps a mod when they motarded her. There is a vertical guard standing up from the OEM slider to prevent the chain hitting the tyre but the chain can't get near it as it hits the tyre first. I am thinking a 10mm nylon block bolted to the sliders upright will work. Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Mad Frosty on Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 pm

150 sounds bit too wide for the XR , ( it was designed to run 120 knoblies ) , but nylon slider sounds like good idea to me , just make sure it wont come loose and damage something .
avatar
Mad Frosty
XRR Monger

Joined : 2012-11-26

Posts : 1179
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Chris_w_65 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:49 am

Mad Frosty wrote:150 sounds bit too wide for the XR , ( it was designed to run 120 knoblies ) , but nylon slider sounds like good idea to me , just make sure it wont come loose and damage something .

Some guys squeeze a 160 in but I believe they have to build their wheel slightly offset.

The BRP was built to be a motard in her second life 2 thumbs
avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Mauser on Fri May 17, 2013 7:53 am

As Frosty suggests and don't forget the width can vary from 1 manufacturer to another, just because the manufacturer calls it a 150 doesn't always mean it will be 150 might be wider or narrorer than that as they all have their own way of working the width out.

Quick Google and quote from Supermotojunkies....

" a friend was running a dunlop 160 on his and it rubbed bad. he even had to run his axle all the way back so the tire wouldn't rub the swingarm. just goes to show that different tires from different companies vary a fair amount "

Would be interested to know how they moved the chain over ?, chain should run parallel from the front sprocket and no where else ? otherwise something is wrong and going to wear out ?.
Pictures would help ?

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1802
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  BuRP on Fri May 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Q: is the boss on the front sprocket facing outwards?
If not turn it around, as it's correct.
I mention this because you say the chain's not following the sliders, and it should.
avatar
BuRP
XRR Monger

Joined : 2010-10-18

Posts : 1557
Location : Pretoria Souf Efrika
XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Chris_w_65 on Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

BuRP wrote:Q: is the boss on the front sprocket facing outwards?
If not turn it around, as it's correct.
I mention this because you say the chain's not following the sliders, and it should.

I will take a look on the weekend. I will take some pics. I think the chain might actually be in the right place
avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Mauser on Fri May 17, 2013 9:25 pm

BuRP wrote:Q: is the boss on the front sprocket facing outwards?
If not turn it around, as it's correct.
I mention this because you say the chain's not following the sliders, and it should.

Good advice....forgot about the sprocket being on backwards.... BRP smile

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1802
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:25 pm

BuRP wrote:Q: is the boss on the front sprocket facing outwards?
If not turn it around, as it's correct.
I mention this because you say the chain's not following the sliders, and it should.

The flat face of my sprocket is facing out - if I turn it around the side of my tyre won't last long - I assume the previous owner put it on wrong for this reason
avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Roller

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sat May 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Maybe this is a plan and maybe I can fit the front sprocket back the right way
avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Mauser on Sat May 18, 2013 2:07 pm

Post some pictures looking down the chain from the rear to front.

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1802
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sat May 18, 2013 2:18 pm

Mauser wrote:Post some pictures looking down the chain from the rear to front.

Ok, will do

I will also take a nice pic showing the positioning of the rear sprocket so you guys can see if it is in the standard position

Apparently a lot of guys offset their rear rim slightly when they build a motard
avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Pics

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 pm





avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Another pic

Post  Chris_w_65 on Sat May 18, 2013 2:29 pm

avatar
Chris_w_65
XRR Freak

Joined : 2013-05-16

Posts : 414
Location : Jhb, South Africa
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: XR650R SM - chain eating tyre

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum