Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  StinkyBoy13 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:49 am

Ok i know we have all heard about the low mile grandma car in the garage that some lucky bastard found. Well I like to belive i found this of the XR650R that i have been so longining to have. Now as far as i know the speedo says 643 miles. Yeah right Huh! Stock tires,brakes,chain,and such. Baja kit installed and street legal. Plannin on 17's front and back,full pipe,and rejet. For now anywho........Any sugestions on tha pipe?
avatar
StinkyBoy13
L Rider

Joined : 2013-04-20

Posts : 2
Location : Oklahoma,USA
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  Icelander-XR650R on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Hey, welcome! Now where's the photo's? razz
avatar
Icelander-XR650R
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2013-01-19

Posts : 51
Location : Kitchener, Ontario. Canada
XR650R Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  AURORA on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:50 pm

XRs Only exhaust system or Rob Barnum System.

Are you going to build the motor?

Big Gun systems have a very low power band?

The stock system, opened up, is pretty good for torque.
avatar
AURORA
XRR Freak

Joined : 2008-12-09

Posts : 689
Location : PHOENIX
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

not gonna rebuild a low mile bike...????

Post  StinkyBoy13 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:46 am

naaaa just want to put some wheels and a pipe on tha pig and then ride the wheels off of her......any questions?????
avatar
StinkyBoy13
L Rider

Joined : 2013-04-20

Posts : 2
Location : Oklahoma,USA
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  AURORA on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:07 am

Open up the side panel. XRs Only full exhaust or Race exhaust if your going to build the motor.

When you install the exhaust system, do not attach the system on the lower part of the sub frame by the rear brake line. This prevents the can pipe from cracking.

Where are the pictures? WTFO?

Was in OKC on Saturday, what's up with Academy not having any .22 LR or 9mm Luger ammo?
avatar
AURORA
XRR Freak

Joined : 2008-12-09

Posts : 689
Location : PHOENIX
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  BuRP on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 am

AURORA wrote:
When you install the exhaust system, do not attach the system on the lower part of the sub frame by the rear brake line. This prevents the can pipe from cracking.


Actually Aurora, that's the first time I hear someone say that - and I also disagree wholeheartedly!
The RH subframe is substantially different & less strong than the LH side (which 'envelopes' the airbox).
The bolted-in-2-places silencer reinforces this RH side quite a bit, so definitively properly bolt it down on the 2 bolts.
Also, the headers are normally an assembly of parts which slide into each other, so there is flex enough here to allow for heat-expansion.


Something completely different, where is your hilarious avatar you used to have? I loved that chick, gave a new meaning to 'sexy' so by all means find something again to replace that dull grey thing of today pirat
avatar
BuRP
XRR Monger

Joined : 2010-10-18

Posts : 1575
Location : Pretoria Souf Efrika
XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  AURORA on Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 pm

If the can and pipe are rigidly attach to a flexing subframe it will put vertical and lateral stresses at a point in front of the forward attachment point. The weakest point which on my XRs Only exhaust is where the mid pipe is clamped to the can pipe.

Some exhaust systems do not have enough give and crack the pipe in front of the can.
avatar
AURORA
XRR Freak

Joined : 2008-12-09

Posts : 689
Location : PHOENIX
XR650R Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

stock exhaust

Post  temporary kiwi on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:39 am

the std exhaust is there to restrict the mtr, the std ex ports are 29mm ID, the std header pipes reduce to around 22mm ID, they are made to suit the smog restricted California state model, the only aftermarket exhaust system ive seen that looks half way acceptable is the' big gun' brand, i make extractor exhaust systems for m/c's, even on a single cyl exhaust with twin pipes, the header portions should be near equal length,[ but not exactly]when running hugely unequal length headers, it will create a large swirl on one side of combustion chamber, thereby limiting the amount of flow thru the mtr, [usually fine on a std eng] just makes me cringe when i see so called performance exhausts with them

temporary kiwi
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2013-04-10

Posts : 211
Location : waikato, new zealand
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  Mauser on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:10 am

temporary kiwi wrote:the std exhaust is there to restrict the mtr, the std ex ports are 29mm ID, the std header pipes reduce to around 22mm ID, they are made to suit the smog restricted California state model, the only aftermarket exhaust system ive seen that looks half way acceptable is the' big gun' brand, i make extractor exhaust systems for m/c's, even on a single cyl exhaust with twin pipes, the header portions should be near equal length,[ but not exactly]when running hugely unequal length headers, it will create a large swirl on one side of combustion chamber, thereby limiting the amount of flow thru the mtr, [usually fine on a std eng] just makes me cringe when i see so called performance exhausts with them

I didn't know the standard pipes from a Californian State piggy were restricted ?, only restrictions I knew about were on the exhaust tip....which is necked down to about 20mm.
You sure about this...?

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1821
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

std headers

Post  temporary kiwi on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:34 am

100%, just have a look at your exhaust if you have the std item, the part that comes out of the exhaust port is a very tight cast bend, it then steps down into the header pipe, has the same setup on all std exhausts, even in euro & aussie models

temporary kiwi
XRR Jockey

Joined : 2013-04-10

Posts : 211
Location : waikato, new zealand
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  Mauser on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:23 pm

temporary kiwi wrote:100%, just have a look at your exhaust if you have the std item, the part that comes out of the exhaust port is a very tight cast bend, it then steps down into the header pipe, has the same setup on all std exhausts, even in euro & aussie models

Ahhh I get you but the way your post read was that the Californian headers were restricted down for emmisons...and the rest of the world was stock as designed.
I like my stock set-up it suits my slow riding lol.....Bump 

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1821
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Greatins and Hellacious! Just got my new baby!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum