Clutch problems in 2002 XR

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  FoC on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Hey everyone. I have a problem with the clutch on my XR. I had some work done it recently but it seems to have only fixed the problem temporarily. Sorry in advance btw, I don't have much technical knowledge for this kind of thing. Anyway, the bike is hard to kick in to neutral sometimes when running but goes down fine when it's off. If I give the bike some throttle while the clutch is pulled in, it still moves forward a bit. The mechanic I gave it to said it needs a new clutch basket. I showed him a pic of some aftermarket clutch baskets, Hinson I think and he said that he needed the stock clutch basket because of the center part missing on the Hinson clutch basket. Anyway I'm a bit fed up of the problems so I'm considering changing the whole clutch to avoid having any more problems. So can anyone tell me which parts I would need to replace everything in the clutch? Anywhere I can order them from? Any recommendations on how I should fix this??
avatar
FoC
L Rider

Joined : 2011-04-12

Posts : 7
Location : Ireland
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  FoC on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:44 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong section btw....New to the site
avatar
FoC
L Rider

Joined : 2011-04-12

Posts : 7
Location : Ireland
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  Mauser on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Welcome, have you actually checked the clutch plates ?, steels & fibres I wouldn't go buying a new clutch till I had checked the above against the manaul.
Has the bike been filled with wrong oil ?.

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1812
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  FoC on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Mauser wrote:Welcome, have you actually checked the clutch plates ?, steels & fibres I wouldn't go buying a new clutch till I had checked the above against the manaul.
Has the bike been filled with wrong oil ?.

Thanks for the reply man. TBH I haven't checked the plates, I'm not too good mechanically. My mechanic said the plates weren't too bad though and did a tiny bit of repair work. What parts would I need for a clutch? I presume it's the plates, fibers, springs and clutch basket, right? Any idea where to get one or how much they'd cost? Seeing as I'm bad mechanically, I just want to get the bike sorted so it won't need any real work for a while other than servicing. AFAIK it wasn't filled with the wrong oil but it does have quite a high mileage. About 20k
avatar
FoC
L Rider

Joined : 2011-04-12

Posts : 7
Location : Ireland
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  Mauser on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:41 am

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/42/Year/2001/ModelID/6575/Model/XR650R/GroupID/276689/Group/CLUTCH

5 22201-MBN-670 DISK, CL FRICTION 0 $11.96

6 22201-MW3-960 DISK, CL FRICTION 0 $7.98

7 22321-KA4-710 PLATE B, CLUTCH 0 $11.59

9 22401-MBN-670 SPRING, CLUTCH 0 $2.84

Also replace/check the bush part number 22116-MBN-671 GUIDE, CLUTCH 0 $13.07

Not going a cost a lot to replace all the wear parts, gasket should be fine.

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1812
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  FoC on Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Mauser wrote:http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/42/Year/2001/ModelID/6575/Model/XR650R/GroupID/276689/Group/CLUTCH

5 22201-MBN-670 DISK, CL FRICTION 0 $11.96

6 22201-MW3-960 DISK, CL FRICTION 0 $7.98

7 22321-KA4-710 PLATE B, CLUTCH 0 $11.59

9 22401-MBN-670 SPRING, CLUTCH 0 $2.84

Also replace/check the bush part number 22116-MBN-671 GUIDE, CLUTCH 0 $13.07

Not going a cost a lot to replace all the wear parts, gasket should be fine.


Cheers man, thanks very much for this information. I'm going to order a clutch basket now too and what you mentioned above. Hopefully it'll be running perfect after that Smile I'll report back once it's done to let everyone know how I got on.
avatar
FoC
L Rider

Joined : 2011-04-12

Posts : 7
Location : Ireland
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  BuRP on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:28 pm

FoC,

I see you've got an '02-model..... are you aware that that specific model has a clutch-bushing in it that needed upgrading to a better type?
The difference lies in lubrication. The first bushing proved to be under-lubricated and it could seize, this whilst the better bush - with more grooves in it to facilitate better lubing - does not have this problem.
Typical for the old bush is not wanting to disengage for a traffic light, and you mention your bike doing some similar things... check it? They're not costly, and a lot less than a new clutch.

Edit: I see that Mauser also mentions the bush, missed it first time. Still, I'd check that first before splashing out on lotsa parts if they're not needed. As an aside, it is really easy to see if a basket is worn - the 'slots' in it, when in good condition, are straight. If buggered they have erratic/not smooth sides, this is where the plates will 'hook up' then.
avatar
BuRP
XRR Monger

Joined : 2010-10-18

Posts : 1571
Location : Pretoria Souf Efrika
XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  FoC on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:39 pm

BuRP wrote:FoC,

I see you've got an '02-model..... are you aware that that specific model has a clutch-bushing in it that needed upgrading to a better type?
The difference lies in lubrication. The first bushing proved to be under-lubricated and it could seize, this whilst the better bush - with more grooves in it to facilitate better lubing - does not have this problem.
Typical for the old bush is not wanting to disengage for a traffic light, and you mention your bike doing some similar things... check it? They're not costly, and a lot less than a new clutch.

Edit: I see that Mauser also mentions the bush, missed it first time. Still, I'd check that first before splashing out on lotsa parts if they're not needed. As an aside, it is really easy to see if a basket is worn - the 'slots' in it, when in good condition, are straight. If buggered they have erratic/not smooth sides, this is where the plates will 'hook up' then.

Hey Burp,

Yeah I saw the basket and it's def damaged. Maybe the bushing changed this? Any idea where I can buy the bushing replacement btw? I can't seem to find it online......Do I have to get it off Honda?
avatar
FoC
L Rider

Joined : 2011-04-12

Posts : 7
Location : Ireland
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  Mauser on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:30 pm

To be honest your bush should be fine, I checked my 2002 model with Honda and 2 x local dealers, I gace then the chassis number and they said there was no outstanding issues with the bike, there are no recalls either. Must confess when I rang Honda I was hoping they would say "all bikes with this chassis number onwards have the new upgraded bush"...but sadly things don't work like that, they could not even tell me when the new bush design was introduced...poor show IMHO.
My frame has 2002 marked on it and it was only the early models which had the bush problems, if yours says 2002 I wouldn't worry about the bush. Saying that if your pulling the cover just check it, it will be dealer part only but cheap enough, please let us know what you find and if possible take some pictures as you pull the cover and work on the clutch.
Still unsure why your ordering the clutch basket ?.

_________________
Current ~  XR650R ~ XJR1300SP ~ ZX12-R ~ DT175MX
Previous Bikes XR250R ~ DT125R ~ GPZ1100 ~ RD350LC ~ XL125R ~ MT5
avatar
Mauser
Administrator

Joined : 2010-09-13

Posts : 1812
Location : UK
XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  FoC on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:07 am

Mauser wrote:To be honest your bush should be fine, I checked my 2002 model with Honda and 2 x local dealers, I gace then the chassis number and they said there was no outstanding issues with the bike, there are no recalls either. Must confess when I rang Honda I was hoping they would say "all bikes with this chassis number onwards have the new upgraded bush"...but sadly things don't work like that, they could not even tell me when the new bush design was introduced...poor show IMHO.
My frame has 2002 marked on it and it was only the early models which had the bush problems, if yours says 2002 I wouldn't worry about the bush. Saying that if your pulling the cover just check it, it will be dealer part only but cheap enough, please let us know what you find and if possible take some pictures as you pull the cover and work on the clutch.
Still unsure why your ordering the clutch basket ?.

I'll have to get the bush checked, I wasn't sure exactly what it is. Two mechanics said I needed to replace the basket and tbh there was some visible damage on it. So what i've done is the cheap option. I got a second hand clutch kit and clutch basket off ebay for cheap enough. All look like they're in good condition so that'll do me fine for a while. I probably won't be opening up the clutch and installing it all myself so I doubt I'll have pics for you all, I don't have the knowledge or confidence to open it up. But I'll hopefully have it all sorted soon. Then I buy a disc brake and the XR will be perfect!

On a seperate note, is there any major engine work I will need to do on the bike soon? It's done almost 17k miles. Valve clearance?

Cheers for all the help so far lads, hopefully i'll be able to contribute a bit more on the site in future.
avatar
FoC
L Rider

Joined : 2011-04-12

Posts : 7
Location : Ireland
XR650R Year : 02

Back to top Go down

Re: Clutch problems in 2002 XR

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum